CINNAMON PECAN STICKY BUNS
If you are looking for something special to serve your family on a holiday morning, then you'll want to try The Perks of Being Us' Cinnamon Pecan Sticky Buns! Talk about a new family favorite... it will be you :)
INGREDIENTS FOR STICKY BUN DOUGH:
1 1/2 cup warm milk (about 110 degrees F)
4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
9 Tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
INGREDIENTS FOR STICKY BUN FILLING:
2 sticks butter, softened but not melted
3 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
5 Tablespoons cinnamon
INGREDIENTS FOR STICKY BUN SPREAD:
1 1/2 cups butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup Pearson Farm Pecan Pieces
1 cup heavy cream
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE DOUGH:
- First, whisk the yeast into the warm milk and let stand 3-4 minutes.
- Next, mix flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk eggs and butter into the milk mixture.
- At this time, pour the wet ingredients over the dry and blend until the dough comes together. A firm rubber spatula or plastic bench scraper works well.
- Now it's time to turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and gently knead until the dough is firm but still a little sticky. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Lightly coat a large bowl with vegetable oil. Place the dough into the oiled bowl and cover with a moist dish towel. Set the bowl in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
PREPARE THE FILLING:
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
PREPARE THE STICKY BUN SPREAD:
- Combine the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Cream together for 2 minutes on high speed with hand blender.
- Add the corn syrup and vanilla extract, and continue to cream for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Stir in the Pecan Pieces and spread mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking plan, or split between 2 smaller pans.
ROLL OUT THE CINNAMON ROLLS:
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a rectangle. Spread the softened butter onto the dough. I like to use my hands.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the butter. Make sure that coverage is even, but not all the way on one edge.
- Starting on the long end, roll the dough up firmly, tucking the ends in as you go. Cut into 12 slices and place on top of the sticky bun spread previously put in the pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with oil and allow the rolls to rise for 1 hour or until nearly double.
BAKE THE ROLLS:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Warm the heavy cream until the chill is off. Once the rolls have risen, pour the heavy cream over the top of the rolls, allowing it to soak down in and around the rolls.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes, until the rolls are lightly golden brown and the center rolls are cooked through. Rotate the rolls at 10 minutes. If they are getting too brown, cover loosely with foil for the remaining baking time.
- Remove rolls to cool briefly. If you cool too long, the sticky syrup will set up.
- Place a cookie sheet over the top of the pan, and very carefully flip the entire pan over so they are upside down. Pat on the bottom of the pan and gently remove, scraping out any of the tasty bits that may be left in the pan.
- Serve warm.