Pecan Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
Our friends over at The Perks of Being Us have outdone themselves with this delicious confection! The creamy cinnamon butter cream, combined with the crunchy toasted pecans make this the perfect fall cupcake!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CUPCAKES:
2 cups of Pearson Farm Pecan Halves
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sour cream
3 cups flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
8 sticks butter
8 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons cinnamon
1 cup roasted Pearson Farm Pecans for garnish
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Toast the pecans on a baking sheet for about 5-7 minutes. Cool the pecans and then chop into fine pieces.
- Using a stand mixer, blend the sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil until well combined. Add in eggs and egg yolks and beat on medium speed until the eggs are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add vanilla to the buttermilk. Then, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the batter followed by half the buttermilk and beat until it starts to combine. Alternate adding the remaining flour and buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour. Blend until just combined.
- Add the chopped pecans and fold into the cupcake batter. Using a large ice-cream (cookie) scoop, fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 F for 18 minutes, turning halfway through.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE FROSTING:
- Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter looks light in color.
- Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter than add the vanilla extract and cinnamon, mix to combine. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 Tablespoon of the heavy cream. Beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated . Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2-3 minutes.
- If the frosting is too thick, add an additional tablespoon of heavy cream and continuing beating until fluffy.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes and garnish with crushed pecans.
Makes 36 cupcakes