Reason's For The (Peach) Season
As we wind up this year's peach season, I thought it might be fun to share a few interesting and lesser known facts about peaches.
- Peaches are originally from China and are a member of the rose family. When they are in bloom, you can see the beauty.
- Columbus brought several peach trees to America on his second and third voyages.
- Did you know that eating a peach can be great for weight loss? Peaches typically contain under 50 calories, 0 grams of fat and 3 grams of fiber. They are an ideal snack because they make you feel full and therefore you eat less.
- It may surprise you to learn that 1 medium size peach contains 9.3% of protein.
- Peaches are also healthy because they are a good source of vitamins A, B and C, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and potassium.
- Because peaches contain vitamins A and C they are a natural cure for refreshing the skin and a great moisturizer. Perhaps this is why peaches are often used in cosmetics.
- Hungarians refer to peaches as the ‘fruit of calmness' because peaches help to reduce anxiety. They are also good for the digestive system, the well-being of muscles, the heart and bones.
- Although you can't prove this one on me, peaches can even have a positive effect on our scalp because they help to reduce hair loss.
- But perhaps the most interesting fact about peaches is “The world's largest peach cobbler" is made every year right here in Georgia and measures 11 feet by 5 feet.